Forgot your Asus laptop password? What if, despite the correct password input on the login screen, you get the message “The password is wrong. We’ll show you how to log in to Windows 10 anyway.
If you have forgotten your password to log on to Windows and do not have another account to access it, do not despair. Thanks to this guide, you can retrieve your Windows password. And if that doesn’t work you can always follow another great asus laptop password reset guide.
To do this, you must have a Windows media support (DVD, pendrive, …) based on the architecture of your computer / tablet. For example, if you have 64-Bit Windows 10 Pro installed on your PC, you will need the Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installation media.
Let’s proceed now with the password reset:
1. Restart the PC and, from the BIOS, set up boot from the DVD / USB drive.
2. You will be prompted to press any key to boot from the DVD / USB – do it!
3. Press the Shift + F10 keys simultaneously . A Command Prompt with Administrator privileges will be started.
4. In the Command Prompt, type regedit and press the Enter key . The Registry Editor will be displayed .
5. Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE .
6. Click on the menu File and then click Load Hive … .
7. Go to DRIVE: \ Windows \ System32 \ config (where DRIVE: will be the name of your PC / tablet hard drive) and locate the file named SYSTEM . Click Open .
8. Give any name (such as SystemWindows ) and click OK .
9. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SystemWindows \ Setup .
10. Double-click the CmdLine key and type cmd.exe in the Value data field . When done, click OK .
11. Perform a double click on the key SetupType and in Value Data type 2 . When done, click OK .
12. Click SystemWindows.
13. Click on the menu File and then click Unload Hive … .
14. At the Confirm download hive check box, click Yes .
15. Close the Registry Editor .
16. Close Command Prompt .
17. Close the Windows Installer window . When you are about to cancel the installation, click Yes .
18. The PC will restart. From the BIOS, set up boot from disk on which Windows is already installed.
19. The operating system will be started with a command prompt.
20. Type the following command and press Enter : net user
View all accounts on your PC / tablet. We will change the password to your Windows account .
22. Type the following command and press Enter : regedit
Start Registry Editor .
23. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ Setup .
24. Double-click on the CmdLine key and in the Value data field, delete the existing content. When done, click OK .
25. Double-click on the SetupType key and in the Value data field type 0 . When done, click OK .
26. Close the Registry Editor .
27. Close Command Prompt .
28. The operating system will start up and will show the screen for password entry. Type the new one, press Enter and you will have access again to your account.
We tested the procedure on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 and on both systems the operation was successful. Have you ever reset your password? Has this procedure been useful? Let us know in the comments.